Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Sentence Auction

Sentence Auction by Anjali

I wrote down 10 sentences on a piece of paper, some of which had grammar mistakes and some of which did not. I photocopied it and gave it to each team. I then gave them some time to find and correct the mistakes. They were given 100 points for each mistake they changed correctly (don’t let them know which ones they changed correctly) and that ended up being the team’s number of points.


I then auctioned off each of the ten sentences one by one. The object was for the teams to use their points to buy the most correct sentences, while avoiding buying the ones with mistakes. After the highest bidder was found, I’d reveal if the sentence is correct or not. If it’s not, I’ll ask the class how to correct it (this is where the oral English comes in—getting them to use words like “comma” “insert” and “take out”). This is a really loud and exciting activity, so make sure your vocal chords (not to mention energy level) are in good shape before attempting it!

No comments: